Show Notes & Research
From the Show
Broadcast: 31st January, 2016
Last update: 5th February, 2016
Published: 5th February, 2016
- Read the feedback, notes from the last show
- Begin taping
- Introduction and description of the podcast, goals, modus operandi.
- What An investigation of everything from a British perspective by two brothers (who consider themselves to be relatively normal chaps), one topic at a time.
- Who Geoffrey Campos (engineer and devil’s advocate),
Benjamin de-Campos (designer and believer).
- How Choose a topic of interest, spend a little time researching it, have a discussion then publish the notes - which are available on the site to read along!
- Why The main benefits are the fostering of a greater understanding of the world before we die and hopefully, to prompt further thought and discussion from our listeners.
- The topic we will be discussing in this episode is Creationism
Creationism is the belief that life, the universe and everything, began when God said ‘go!’. He apparently did this mere thousands of years ago and we have record of this in the first book of the Old Testament. ‘What kind of chump would believe something simply because a book says it is so?’ Well according to high profile ‘creationists’ such as Ken Ham and many others, there is actually a huge body of scientific evidence that confirms the truth of the book of Genesis. If you dig deep into the ground you will find ‘billions of dead things buried in rock layers laid down by water all over the earth’. You would have to have a lot of faith in the Gods of secularism, immorality and cannibalism to believe such a fact isn’t solid proof of Noah’s Flood. And a talking snake.
What we’re not talking about
Each bullet is a talking point. Sub-bullets are topics that may or may not be covered. Usage: Read the bullet and sub-bullets then talk about some or all sub-bullets.
- Basically this: ‘In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.’ - Genesis 1:1
- Teach the controversy
- People want to believe this crap. They don’t want to hear that Ken Ham is lying to them. They just won’t go there.
- Religious people don’t want to believe we’re ‘just material’ and that there is no God, souls, supernatural justice, eternal life etc.
- I wish to present the case that ordinary people who claim they believe this stuff could very well believe this stuff for reals; it’s the people who make a career out of it that are sinister and nefarious because they are lying. They are liars. They lie and lie and lie to bilk the savings from people who hold sincere but ridiculous beliefs.
- I mean for Christ’s sake:
Proverbs 19:9 says:
A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who breathes out lies will perish.
Proverbs 12:22 ES
Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who act faithfully are his delight.
No one who practices deceit shall dwell in my house; no one who utters lies shall continue before my eyes.
Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator.
- These people are demonstrably lying. Which shows that they:
- don’t actually care about the bible
- are liars.
- All terrible arguments that have been refuted time and time again and the fact that they keep using the same arguments demonstrates their dishonesty.
- Look around you
- Why are there still monkeys?
- There’s a conspiracy of scientists
- An argument refuted is still an argument
- It’s too complex, irreducibly complex
- Inheritance, mutation, children aren’t clones
- Structures found in nature are too complex to have evolved step-by-step through natural selection
- Where does the new information come from? Mutation is always detrimental
- Not always and they are random. Somatic versus germ line mutation.
- 2nd Law, increasing entropy yet, evolutionary improvement
- Big Bang
- No evidence for Evolution
- particles-to-people evolution or ‘molecules to man’ as Ken Ham says.
- No transitional species
- It’s in the Bible
- Darwinism leads to eugenics
- Microevolution from ‘Kinds’ of animals
- Australopithecus fossils are those of deformed humans
- Earth isn’t that old
- Radiocarbon dating works on organic matter up to 50,000 years old. N14 converted into C14 by living organisms, stops on death.
- Chance/Accidents No, it’s selection
- Dinosaurs were dragons No contemporary remains found among dinosaur fossils. Paluxy footprints - really eroded dinosaur footprints etc.
- Why Creationism is a problem
- Teaching in schools will eat into the teaching of facts
- Starting with answers and filling in the arguments
- Misinformation is cruelty
- Unfounded confidence in conclusions
- Anecdotal but, I saw it
- Probability It’s likely to be true, it’s so unlikely, it must be true
- Question begging The conclusion is the premise
- Equivocation misleading use of a term
- Single cause only one cause of an outcome e.g. irreducible complexity
- Assertion a proposition is repeated despite having been contradicted
- Special Pleading Claiming exemption from a generally accepted rule without justification
- Islam ‘Allah created the heavens and the earth, and all that is between them, in six days’ - Quran 7:54
- Age of earth about 9,000 years calculated from the bible. Trim the ludicrous ages of some of the characters and it’s much younger.
- Genesis 5:3 ‘When Adam had lived 130 years, he had a son in his own likeness, in his own image; and he named him Seth. After Seth was born, Adam lived 800 years and had other sons and daughters. Altogether, Adam lived a total of 930 years, and then he died.’
- Old Earth
- God the designer of natural selection, non-interventionist
- Intelligent Design/Irreducible Complexity nee Creation Science
- Creationism in the United States
- It’s big business
- Saving souls, believe the atheists and you’ll go to hell
- God loves us
- The Creation Museum and the forthcoming ‘Ark Encounter’
- Scopes ‘monkey trial’
- 1925, Dayton, small town in Tennessee
- Butler Act passed ‘you can’t teach that humans descended from lower orders’
- American Civil Liberties Union printed an ad in the paper: ‘We are looking for a Tennessee teacher who is willing to accept our services in testing this law in the courts.’
- Mine manager George Rappleyea spots ad, hatches plan with a few locals to get Dayton some publicity
- John Scopes approached, agreed he would say he had taught evolution despite having only filled in for the attendant biology teacher. He never taught evolution.
- Famous case brought to Dayton, Scopes fined $100. World media in a tizz.
- Not as big a deal as in the US but I’ve heard some chatter that Muslims tend to believe in Creationism and so it’s becoming a bigger deal.
- Famous (infamous) exponents
- Ken Ham: Lying scoundrel.
- John David Morris of the Institute of Creation Research
- Kent Hovind: He’s out of jail and out on bail and that’s the way it goes, right!
- young earther
- keen on dinosaurs
- Thinks the King James Edition is the correct bible
- Eric Hovind: Kent’s equally dishonest huckster son.
- Duane Gish Syrup wearing biochemist YEC who’s dead
- Michael Behe (not a creationist per sé, he’s a proponent of ‘Intelligent Design’ which is a narrow and not so deep distinction)
- Ray Comfort: Lying scoundrel and Banana Man
- Author of 80 books including ‘You Can Lead An Atheist To Evidence But You Can't Make Him Think’
Terminology specific to the topic
- Discovery Institute Advocates of Intelligent Design
- Microevolution Unnecessary term for genetic changes within a species over a shorter time period than Macroevolution (or regular evolution)
- Young Earth Creationism The belief that the universe was created no more than 10,000 years ago
- Details about site, contacts, next show: Droons
- Outro music choice - something open source or out of copyright so we don’t get sued
- Recording ends, postmortem recording begins
- Add intro music, outro, any editing
From the Show
Notes, corrections and further references
National Geographic Evolution of the eye http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2016/02/evolution-of-eyes-text
William Paley (1743-1805): Natural Theology or Evidences of the Existence and Attributes of the Deity collected from the Appearances of Nature (1802)
Rational Wiki, very long list of evidence against a young earth/universe http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Evidence_against_a_recent_creation
Richard Dawkins interviews Wendy Wright of ‘Concerned Women for America’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFjoEgYOgRo