Show Notes & Research
From the Show
Broadcast: 18th October, 2015
Last update: 1st November, 2015
- Read the feedback, notes from the last show
- Begin recording
- Introduction and description of the podcast, goals, modus operandi.
- What An investigation of everything from a British perspective by two brothers (who consider themselves to be relatively normal chaps), one topic at a time.
- Who Geoffrey Campos (engineer and devil’s advocate),
Benjamin de-Campos (designer and believer).
- How Choose a topic of interest, spend a little time researching it, have a discussion then publish the notes.
- Why The main benefits are the fostering of a greater understanding of the world before we die and hopefully, to prompt further thought and discussion from our listeners.
- Read along from the notes. The topic we will be discussing in this episode is Islam
I think ‘Islam’ is simply too broad a subject. We should narrow this down to something meaty within islam something like ‘political islam’ or ‘the rise of isis’. I’ve just downloaded Harris’ new pamphlet, I think a good show we could have in this arena is a discussion of that book. What say you? Sure. Think of a title and we’ll postpone to next week. I think your suggestions are more challenging however. I reckon laying out Islam as a system is quite easy and wouldn’t take very long; the majority of the show could be a critique from our Western, contemporary point of view. If you’re cool about reading Harris’ new book, we should do a show sort of based on that. That can include explaining what islam is. I’d like to touch on the very act of talking about such things as that’s pretty hot right now. Kind of a continuation of the Cenk show. Which I watched today for the first time. I’d only listened to the full three hours before. It’s quite entertaining to watch.
We can integrate Harris’s book into a discussion on Islam. I think laying out what Islam is first makes more sense. I agree. But it should be billed as ‘Islam and the future of tolerance’. Or something.
I’d rather not. I don’t think we need to ride Harris’s coat tails. Okay.
Why don’t we leave it as ‘Islam’ (because I don’t really want to cover it again) and as I say, describing the faith won’t take long. We can dedicate the majority of the show to contemporary concerns. Whenever I hear discussions on Islam I hear everything but a discussion on what it actually is. Okay. I just didn’t want to have to read essays and essays of technical info. The wikipedia pages covering islam go on for miles.
I’ve done a bit of reading on the subject. I’m confident I can outline it inside 20 minutes easy. There are a lot of facts and I think we would be remiss to miss them out. This is a large part of the current problem in my view. Ignorant critiques. Okay, cool. I’m going to bed.
There is a God and there are no others. The name of God is Allah, He is merciful and His existence was revealed to the world through his last prophet, Muhammad. For fourteen centuries Islam (submission to the will of God) has been followed by Muslims (those who submit) in accordance with the moral teachings found in the holy book, the Qur'an. In our increasingly multicultural world, how might a behavioural report card on Islam fair? How is it getting along with its peers? How happy are its adherents? What is the future of Islam?
What we’re not talking about
- Young Earth Creationists I don’t think this should be off the table. According to Dawkins ‘Most devout Muslims are creationists’. You’re right
- Adam Ant
Each bullet is a talking point. Sub-bullets are topics that may or may not be covered. Usage: Read the bullet and sub-bullets then talk about some or all sub-bullets.
- Islam Surrender, Submission, Obedience, Sincerity, Peace
- PBUH, SAWS (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam - may Allah honour him and grant him peace)
- Muslim Population is increasing at 1.84%
- The Muslim population in 2013 is 2.04 Billion & 2014 is = 2.08 Billion - http://www.muslimpopulation.com/World/
- 570ce Muhammad born - tribalism
- 610ce Angel Gabriel dictates the Qur’an
- 622ce Conquers Medina
- 623ce Muslims begin to pray towards Mecca instead of Jerusalem
- 632ce Dies
- 632-1492ce Continual expansion, lose Spain
- 1492-1600ce-ish, expansion
- Prophet The most important and last being Muhammad (570-632)
- Mullah Ruler or lord
- Imam Local priest
- Ulama Scholars of Islamic teachings
- Muslim Follower of Islam
- Jinn Demons
- Basic beliefs/assumptions
- There is an afterlife
- Born sinless
- Judged on works
- Qur’an is the word of God
- Hadith are its commentary
- Isnad The supporting e.g. chain of references
- Matn The actual text
- Muhammad is Allah’s last prophet
- Main Branches (many sects)
- Kharijites - mostly diminished
- Faith (Shahada)
- Prayer (Salat)
- Charity (Zakat)
- Fasting (Sawm)
- Pilgrimage (Hajj to the Masjid al-Haram - sacred mosque in Mecca)
- Possibly a 6th: Duty
- 5 times a day negotiated down from 50 by Mohammad
- Facing Mecca
- Sayings, actions and things that happened in Muhammad’s presence (that he didn’t object to)
- Be correctly atired, always be at prayer
- Walk around the Kabaa 7 times counter-clockwise then drink water from a holy well (Tawaf)
- Walk to and fro 7 times between two hills, have a haircut (Sa'ay)
- Repent sins on a hill (mount Arafat)
- Throw 7 stones at each of 3 pillars for 2 days
- Kill an animal
- Another 7 circuits around the Kabaa
- Bid farewell
- Un-ceremoniously slaughtered animals
- Recent history & Controversy
- ISIS, ISIL, IS
- Al Qaeda
- Boko haram
- Hajj 2015
- Western liberalism
- ‘regressive’ liberalism
- Socio-economic reasoning
- A religion of peace except ‘And slay not the soul which God has forbidden except for the just cause..’ 17:33
The onion article is a good piece of satire making the point that Islam isn’t a religion of peace (in the most basic sense) http://www.theonion.com/article/no-one-murdered-because-of-this-image-29553
- Muslims are ‘victims’
- Charlie Hebdo attack and reaction
- Perception of what a ‘muslim’ is in the UK
- Differences I (Benjamin) have noticed betwixt London and Los Angeles
- ‘A male shall inherit twice as much as a female.’ 4:11
- ‘Women shall with justice have rights similar to those exercised against them, although men have a status above women.’ 2:228
- ‘Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because God has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and forsake them in beds apart, and beat them.’ 4:34
Terminology specific to the topic
- Allah Viewed as the sole God—creator, sustainer, and restorer of the world. ‘The one and only God.’
- Allahu Akbar God is greatest
- Caliph Religious leader, successor to Mohammad
- Eid al-Fitr End of Ramadan. Eid al-Adha, commemoration of the Prophet Abraham’s willingness to sacrifice his son.
- Islam Literally ‘surrender’ [There aren’t any capital letters in Arabic.]
- Fundamentalism Unwavering attachment to a set of irreducible beliefs
- Hadith Reported sayings of Mohammad
- Halal/Haraam Permissible, sinful
- Hijab, Niqab and Burqa Head and neck scarf, Head, neck and face, Everything, even a mesh over the eyes.
- Islamism Political aspects of Islam
- Istishhad Martyrdom
- Jihad Duty of maintaining Islam
- Ka’ba or Kabaa Most important temple, first place of worship. Visiting it is part of the Hajj during the holy month of Ramadan. Visiting at any other time is known as the umrah - the lesser pilgrimage.
- Kafir Unbeliever, infidel
- Madrasa Islamic school
- Masjid Islamic temple Masjid al-Haram is the largest in the world. It surrounds the Kabaa in Mecca
- Masjid al-Haram
- Mosque From ‘mosquito’. King Ferdinand in the 15th century allegedly said I will swat the Muslim prayer houses like mosquitoes’. Proper name is Masjid.
- Qur’an Holy book meaning ‘recitation’. Literally the word of God.
- Ramadan The ninth month in the Islamic calendar, the holy month of fasting
- Sharia Law Islamic law
- Taqiya "Creative Lying" Advocated in Islam
- Ummah Community
- Umami gourmet burgers
2 million people performed the Hajj rituals in 2015. Over 1,000 died in various accidents in and around the Masjid al-Haram.
New temporary walkway is part of a 30 year renovation project budgeting £147 billion.
Hajar al-Aswad, a black stone on the corner framed in silver. said to be a meteorite.
The clock tower is the 3rd tallest building on the planet. 120 floors, 601m. Completed 2012.
One of the four clock faces compared to Big Ben at the same scale:
Stoning the devil in Mina
- Details about site, contacts, next show: Fast Food
- Outro music choice - something open source or out of copyright so we don’t get sued
- Call to prayer, Filipino Muezzin, 2013
- Recording ends, postmortem recording begins
- Add intro music, outro, any editing
From the Show
Notes, corrections and further references
Why Muslims pray 5 times a day ‘In this dream, Muhammad mounted "a white animal which was smaller than a mule and bigger than a donkey" called "the Buraq." He flew from Mecca to Jerusalem and from there ascended to heaven. He was escorted by Moses through seven heavens into the presence of God. There, at Moses instigation, Muhammad plead with God to reduce the number of daily mandatory prayers from fifty to five.’ - http://www.bible.ca/islam/islam-journey.htm
See the relevant hadith on this: Isra and Mi'raj - http://www.islamawareness.net/Isra/hadith.html
Journeys in Holy Lands: The Evolution of the Abraham-Ishmael Legends in Islamic Exegesis - 1990 linked on Google Books. Discusses Abraham and Ishamael and the Kabaa.
Islam and the Future of Tolerance: A Dialogue by Sam Harris and Maajid Nawaz available on Amazon. Discuss the relative taboo of needling Islamic religious thoughts and practices.
Moral Absolutism http://www.philosophybasics.com/branch_moral_absolutism.html
Pew Research Centre findings on Islam http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the-worlds-muslims-religion-politics-society-overview/