Show Notes & Research
From the Show
Broadcast: 6th Match, 2016
Last update:22nd March, 2016
Published: 22nd March, 2016
- Read the feedback, notes from the last show
- Begin recording
- Introduction and description of the podcast, goals, modus operandi.
- What An investigation of everything from a British perspective by two dullards (who consider themselves to be relatively normal chaps), one topic at a time.
- Who Geoffrey Campos (engineer and devil’s advocate),
Benjamin de-Campos (designer and believer).
- How Choose a topic of interest, spend a little time researching it, have a discussion then publish the notes - which are available on the site to read along!
- Why The main benefits are the fostering of a greater understanding of the world before we die and hopefully, to prompt further thought and discussion from our listeners.
- The topic we will be discussing in this episode is Sport
Two men who have never met each other before, might even be from different social classes, might be different races, different species even. What they have in common is sport. They can talk to each other about a recent game or the consequences of an upcoming game, how an England manager is somehow a turnip, how it’s been a good season for something or other and so on and so forth. Etc. And on it goes. And why not? Coverage of sport is top billing stuff. Literally teams of millionaires running around a field kicking, or hitting or carrying a ball can create headlines all around the world, often reducing grown men to tears of anguish, in some cases transforming groups of men to rise up and engage in armed conflict with other groups of men in an orgy of tribal violence. What about those of us that couldn’t give a rat’s ass about what a bunch of rich infants get up to on or off the pitch? Those of us that have better things to do than shout ‘nice one Rooney!’ when we see a diamante encrusted pink Bentley GT or a matt black pointy Ferrari farting down the street? Sport (or sports).
What we’re not talking about
- Freshwater Inverts and Amphibians
- Peanut Poisoning
Each bullet is a talking point. Sub-bullets are topics that may or may not be covered. Usage: Read the bullet and sub-bullets then talk about some or all sub-bullets.
- What is it and what it its scope of interest?
- Vicarious self-esteem
- Islands mentality, UK, Japan
- Why do black athletes dominate sport?
- Different sports
- UK is all about football (soccer), US about football (football)
- what’s the appeal with these main sports?
- perhaps it’s their accessible, marketable format, Cricket on the otherhand is too incompatible with television what with days that last hours.
- Mass boredom
- For someone who couldn’t give a hoot, sport-speak is not only boring but alienating.
- American Football
- 11 players on the field, 53 total team members ‘roster’
These prices are per month. There is no mention of this.
- Big business
- it never used to be this way
- Rock stars
- Same phenomenon with football players. They are adored and given oodles of cash, they’re under enormous pressure, they lose their minds.
- “You have to do something in your life that is honorable and not cowardly if you are to live in peace with yourself.” - Larry Brown, basketball coach
- “It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence: in other words it is war minus the shooting.” - George Orwell, The Sporting Spirit, 1945 essay.
- “The five S’s of sports training are: stamina, speed, strength, skill, and spirit; but the greatest of these is spirit.” - Ken Docherty, snooker player
- “It’s not whether you get knocked down; it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi, American football coach
- “Bodybuilding is much like any other sport. To be successful, you must dedicate yourself 100% to your training, diet and mental approach.” - Arnold Schwarzenegger Terminator
- “I Cheetah all the time.” - Ben Johnson, Sprinter
- “Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.” - Lance Armstrong, Arrogant Disgraced Cyclist
- “Chemistry is a class you take in high school or college, where you figure out two plus two is 10, or something.” - Dennis Rodman American Basketball Man
Terminology specific to the topic
- Details about site, contacts, next show: Poop
- Outro music choice - something open source or out of copyright so we don’t get sued
- Indoor Sports by Bert Williams, 1915. Out of copyright.
- Recording ends, postmortem recording begins
- Add intro music, outro, any editing
From the Show
Notes, corrections and further references
The Onion: You Will Suffer Humiliation When The Sports Team From My Area Defeats The Sports Team From Your Area
The cars Man U players drive https://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/the-cars-of-manchester-united-players
Manchester City ace Brandon Barker was left ‘devastated’ after thieves broke into his house – and stole his £20,000 shoe collection.
The 19-year-old, who is on the fringes of the City first-team, lost 10 pairs of Christian Louboutin trainers worth £2000 each.
Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/06/manchester-citys-brandon-barker-devastated-after-thieves-steal-his-20000-trainer-collection-5736321/#ixzz428CaSW00